The Antidiscrimination & Labor Division's Employment Discrimination focus is to administer and enforce the Utah Antidiscrimination Act of 1965, found at Utah Code Annotated, Title 34A Chapter 5. The Act prohibits employment discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age and disability. Utah's law also prohibits employment discrimination on the basis of pregnancy, childbirth or pregnancy-related conditions. Additionally, based on a work-share and contract agreement with the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the UALD is empowered to act as an agent of the EEOC and has authority to enforce Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The Employment Discrimination Section receives, mediates (for early resolution), investigates and resolves charges of employment discrimination. It also acts as a resource to employees and employers concerning laws which prohibit employment discrimination, conducts seminars and uses other teaching methods to make employers aware of conditions which lead to employment discrimination.
The Employment Discrimination Section encourages voluntary compliance through effective educational presentations. Alternative dispute resolution has also been used to effectively resolve employment discrimination charges.
Items of Interest
- Employment Discrimination - What You Need to Know | Discriminacion en el Empleo
- What can I expect when I file a complaint with the UALD? | ¿Qué puedo esperar cuando presento una queja ante la UALD?
- What is Discrimination?
- Etiquette Guide
- Employment Discrimination Questionnaire | Instructions
- Discriminacion en el Empleo | Instrucciones
- Americans with Disabilities Act Questionnaire | Cuestionario ADA
- Appeal of a Utah Antidiscrimination and Labor Division Determination and Order
Contacting the Division
Antidiscrimination & Labor Division
160 East 300 South, 3rd Floor
Labor Commission of Utah
P.O. Box 146640
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6640
Phone: 801-530-6801 or 1-800-222-1238